Welcome and details for fall 2015
Lecture: T/R 11-12 (16-220)
Lab: T/R 1-5 or W/F 1-5 (56-322)
People: Instructor and student web pages may be found at the linked People page.
Welcome to 20.109! For some of you this will be the first time in a research lab and for others it will not; either way, it is our goal to make this class a useful and fun introduction to experiments and techniques in biological engineering. There is not time enough to show you everything you’ll need to know if you go on to do research, but after taking this class you should feel confident and familiar with some fundamental experimental approaches and lab protocols. You will develop good habits at the bench, ones that will increase the likelihood of success in your work and ensure the health and safety of you and those around you. By the end of the semester, you should also be aware of good scientific practice, having had some experience with report writing, notebook keeping, and publicly presenting data and your ideas. All of us involved in teaching 20.109 hope you will find it a satisfying challenge and an exciting experience that has lasting value.
- Please note the policy addendum concerning missed lecture and laboratory classes.
- Absences from lecture:
- Excused absences (those that have been approved by the 20.109 teaching team or are related to health issues) may result in an additional assignment. The goal of the assignment will be to ensure that you have the information you need and are ready for all quizzes and assignments when you return to class.
- Unexcused absences will result in the loss of participation points.
- Absences from laboratory:
- Excused absences should be discussed with the 20.109 teaching team as soon as possible. Because we are unable to provide make-up laboratory time, you may be required to attend the other section to complete the necessary experiments.
- Unexcused absences will result in a full increment deduction from your final grade on the major assignment for the module (for example, a B+ would be a B).
Office hours for fall 2015
- Noreen: Monday and Wednesday 1-3pm in 16-317
- Leslie: Monday 12-2p and Tuesday 4-5p in 16-429b
- Maxine: Thursday and Friday 10-11a in 16-239
- By appointment: contact via email and include days and times that you are available to meet
- All: in 56-302 Wednesday 11/11 10am-4pm
- Noreen: in 16-317 Thursday 11/12 6pm-8pm, Friday 11/13 6pm-8pm
- Leslie: in 16-429b Friday 11/13 10am-12pm
- Maxine: in 16-239 Friday 11/13 10am-12pm